Friday, March 21, 2008

Beet Leaf Rolls

Since today is Good Friday and I'm not allowed to eat meat (only 2 days of the year--a religious thing), I thought I'd add this meat-less wonder.

This has got to the be the most awesome and addictive Ukranian/Russian/Polish dishes I've ever tasted. It was handed down on my Maternal Grandmother's (Baba's) side, for who knows how long. We don't know the actual name of the dish (I usually just ask my Mom to make the beet-leaf thingies) or where in Russia, Ukraine, or Poland it came from...as none of my other relatives have ever heard of it. My Mom suggested it may have started with the Doukhobors. Whatever it's origin it's delicious. Anyways, here goes...

40 young beet leaves med. sized
1 pk frozen bread dough, or make your own
1/4 c. butter
4 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. garlic powder
500 ml half and half cream (or fresh farm cream)

Wash & dry beet leaves. Thaw bread and let rise. Cut dough into 3 inch lengths and roll finger-like. Wrap beet leaf around bread dough. Place in well buttered large square casserole dish. Bake at 350F until golden brown. Boil cream, add dill. Pour over beet rolls and bake for additional 20 minutes, covered. Remove from oven and serve.

Enjoy,
Myrna

1 comment:

Gary Lamon said...

Hope'si???
We are makig it tonight-but never with dill-we're adding dill as we speak...