Monday, March 17, 2008

Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage

One day I had a craving for this, I'd never even had it before. Guess it's my Ukranian/Russian heritage coming out. At any rate, I went in search of a recipe that made my mouth water, and this was it. I can't even remember where I found this one.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 apple, peeled, cored, chopped
4 c. thinly sliced red cabbage
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 c. crumbled, well cooked bacon (I like the maple flavoured stuff)

Heat oil in large saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion and apple, and saute until golden. About 7 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, sugar & celery seed and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender and liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 10 mins. Mix in bacon, season with salt & pepper. Serve.

Serves 4

Enjoy,
Myrna

No comments: