Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup)



This is one of my favourite 'I'm not feeling good', soups. If I feel a cold coming on, I make a batch of this and the cold doesn't stand a chance. Also, it tastes really good.

6 tbsp. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, chopped (I use alot more than this)
6 slice bread, cut into cubes
1 tsp paprika
7 cups chicken stock
salt to taste (optional - I find the stock is salty enough)
1 egg slightly beaten
chopped parsley (optional)
Mozzarella cheese (optional)

Heat oil in a soup pot, add the chopped garlic and bread cubes. Fry unitl lightly golden, then stir in paprika. Add the stock and salt. Cover & simmer for 5 - 10 mins. The bread should be almost dissolved. Pour egg into soup stirring to break it up as it poaches (it should resemble shreds). Cook another minute, until egg is done, then ladle into soup bowls and top with chopped parsley.

I tend to leave out the parsley, instead I like to add shredded mozzarella cheese on top.

Serves 4

Enjoy,
Myrna

No comments: